When You Should Be Added to Your Vendor’s Insurance Policy

When You Should Be Added to Your Vendor’s Insurance Policy

When You Should Be Added to Your Vendor’s Insurance Policy

Vendors and other independent contractors should be covered by Commercial General Liability (CGL) and Professional Liability Insurance (PLI) policies, which protect them against the consequences of accidents, errors and omissions, mistakes, and oversights when providing services to clients like you.

If they don’t have this coverage (and, in fact, a solid vendor agreement will require vendors to carry these policies), you should rethink your relationship. If they do, you want to be listed as an additional insured under your vendors’ policies.

What is an Additional Insured?
An additional insured is a party covered under a vendor’s CGL or PLI policy because they have a business relationship with the vendor that makes them vulnerable to being sued for the vendor’s acts under contract. In other words, you could be sued for conduct that is within your vendor’s scope of duty – and you’d like them to insulate you.

When Should I Be an Additional Insured?
The short answer is: whenever there’s a risk that the vendor’s actions or omissions under your agreement can result in a lawsuit against you by a third party.

Consider a product that is physically or chemically changed while under the vendor’s control; damaged, destroyed, or delayed inventory; a vendor’s failure to inspect, test, or service a product; a manufacturing defect. Draw on your experience and the experience of those in your industry to identify your vulnerable points, and then make sure your scope of coverage is large enough.

What is My Scope of Coverage?
Some vendor insurance policies have blanket language that automatically covers certain parties for all vicarious liability; this is ideal but not very common, because such policies are expensive. If you don’t have blanket coverage, you’ll need what’s called an endorsement that acts as a kind of rider on the policy, adding you to coverage for particular claims against.

The language of the endorsement determines the scope of coverage. Most policy writers will use standard endorsement language provided by the Insurance Services Office (ISO) – but you can draft your own if the vendor is amenable and the price is right.

Remember that the basis for the additional coverage is the endorsement, and the basis for the endorsement is the contract between you and your vendor. It goes without saying that you should always have your agreements in writing. Within that writing, you should also have the vicarious liability coverage requirement and the scope of the policy, where possible.

This article is meant to be utilized as a general guideline for selling your business. Nothing in this blog is intended to create an attorney-client relationship or to provide legal advice on which you should rely without talking to your own retained attorney first.  If you have questions about your particular legal situation, you should contact a legal professional.

About Alex Gertsburg

At Gertsburg Law, our attorneys have a comprehensive understanding of the countless issues facing businesses on a daily basis. Most of our experienced attorneys in the Chagrin Falls and Cleveland offices are former business owners and in-house counsel, bringing a unique perspective and depth of knowledge to their skill set. We will work with you to understand your goals and to find the right solution for your organization.